
Huntley man responsible for the death of three people charged with first-degree murder

Sebastian, 5, and Benjamin, 7, were found deceased alongside their father Andrew Hintt in Belvidere on Dec. 19 in what was ruled a homicide
BELVIDERE – On Jan. 5, Belvidere Police Chief Shane Woody announced that 24-year-old Alize Q. Smith of Huntley had been charged with three counts of first-degree murder in relation to the deaths of Andrew Hintt, 31, of Hampshire and his two sons Benjamin, 7, and Sebastian, 5.
Last month, the Belvidere Police Department updated the public on a crime that took place on Dec. 19. At approximately 9:43 p.m., law enforcement found the bodies of Andrew, Benjamin, and Sebastian in a house located at 628 Union Avenue in Belvidere. 9mm bullet shell casings were also found in the home.
During the initial phase of the investigation, police detectives discovered that Smith was with the three victims on the morning of Dec. 19.
An autopsy performed by Boone County Coroner Rebecca Wigget ruled the three victims’ deaths as homicides.
On Dec. 21, the Belvidere Police Department was notified by the U.S. Marshals Service Great Lakes Regional Fugitive Task Force that they had taken Smith into custody on an Illinois Department of Corrections (IDOC) warrant for parole violations.
After speaking with Belvidere Police detectives, Smith was transported to the Boone County Adult Detention Center for the unrelated IDOC warrant, where he will remain without bond until he is officially sentenced.
“This investigation is ongoing and we do ask for the public’s help as we have yet to find Andrew’s vehicle. Remember, it’s a silver 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk. It has an Illinois registration number of CT92923,” said Woody in a Jan. 5 press conference. “Now, we have reason to believe that the license plate may not be on the vehicle. So, if somebody comes in contact with the vehicle or that license plate, please contact your local law enforcement.”
The Huntley Police Department, U.S. Marshals Service, and Belvidere Police detectives executed a search warrant for a residence in the 11000 block of Timer Drive in Huntley, where several pieces of evidence were seized.
“My office reviewed the Belvidere Police Department’s investigation into the deaths of Andrew Hintt and his two sons. I’ve approved three first-degree murder charges,” said Boone County State’s Attorney Tricia Smith. “If convicted of first-degree murder in Illinois, it is a non-probational offense and it carries a term of 20-60 years in the Illinois Department of Corrections. Because of the specific facts in this case, the defendant is facing an additional 25 years to natural life in addition to what’s imposed on the 20-60-year sentencing range. Also, in the alternative, if he’s convicted of murdering two or more individuals, it is a mandatory sentence of life in prison. In addition, any sentence imposed in this case will be served 100%.”
Belvidere Mayor Clint Morris shared his condolences for the terrible loss the Hintt family has had to endure.
“Our thoughts and prayers are with the Hintt family and we know that we can never remove the pain and grief for the Hintt family, however, we have to ensure we provide justice for them,” said Morris.
An obituary posted to the Fredrick Funeral Home (284 Park Street, Hampshire) described Benjamin and Sebastian as sweet, smart, and happy boys who “were always thinking of others and loved giving gifts and cards that they made.”
Both boys attended KinderCare in Huntley and were students at Gary D. Wright Elementary School in Hampshire, where they were said to have had many friends and teachers that cared deeply for them.
A GoFundMe account has been set up for the two boys to help fund their memorial service which is being planned for a future date in the spring. The GoFundMe account has already raised over $37,000, surpassing the $20,000 goal. Individuals may still donate to the GoFundMe by visiting gofund.me/ff4b0726.
The Belvidere Police Department asks anyone with information about this investigation to contact their department by calling their 24-hour hotline at 815-544-2135.
Anonymous reports can be made by contacting Boone County Crimestoppers at 815-547-7867 or by visiting boonecountycrimestoppers.com.
