
Parents of students in D158’s Dual-Language Program raise concerns over disruptions in the classroom
HUNTLEY — During the May 18 Huntley Community School District 158 Board of Education (BOE) meeting, a few parents of students in the Dual-Language Program at Mackeben Elementary came before the board to present concerns about a certain student that has been continuously displaying “aggressive behaviors” towards other children and staff in the classroom.
That discussion carried over into the June 1 Committee of the Whole meeting where Mike Fisher, a parent of another Mackeben Elementary Dual-Language Program student, echoed similar concerns about the numerous times learning has been interrupted by one student.
“That child has physically hurt students and teachers, broken and thrown objects within the classroom, climbed on and flipped over furniture, all while the 20-plus students are just trying to get out of his way,” Fisher told the board. “They are often evacuated from the classes. I’d love to tell you exactly how many times our children have had to stop learning in order to be evacuated, but we don’t get that information. The school does not tell us when this happens.”
According to the parents that have gone before the BOE, the student in question was placed in the Dual-Language Program by the district’s Special Services department. Despite that student having an IEP (Individualized Education Program) and a student aid on hand, parents and students allege that the problematic behaviors continue.
At the May 18 BOE meeting, one parent told the board members that they have been in constant contact with the leadership at Mackeben Elementary since last October, however, nothing appears to have changed with the situation.
In hopes to further the need for quick action on this matter, Fisher read off quotes from some of the children in the Dual-Language Program that are supposedly victims of the troubling behavioral issues.
Those students’ comments range from the following: “It’s just so annoying the things he does and it’s frustrating.”
“I don’t pay attention to him anymore.”
“Everyone tries to be nice to him so he won’t hurt us.”
“I don’t feel safe.”
“I try to be nice so I don’t get targeted.”
“If he can flip a desk now, what is he going to do when we get bigger?”
The final speaker to approach the podium during the June 1 meeting public comments was Huntley Education Association (HEA) President Brad Aney, who stated he was aware of the issues as well and hoped that some action would be taken soon.
“I want you guys to know that we have also, as certified staff, [have been] brought the attention of the behavioral issues and that is something that we’re hoping to address in the next negotiations as well,” said Aney.
He added that he has brought the behavioral issues up to district administration every single time he has met with them this year because it pains him to hear the stories parents have told him since he has two children attending D158 schools.
BOE President Andy Bittman assured parents at the last BOE meeting that an action plan for the behavioral issues would be discussed in a future meeting, though he did not specify an exact timeframe.
In addition, departing Superintendent Dr. Scott Rowe told parents in attendance at last month’s meeting that Director of Multilingual & Multicultural Services Johanna Poncio Jordan and Assistant Superintendent Dr. Rocio Del Castillo would be reaching out to parents in the Dual-Language Program regarding their concerns.
